Thursday, January 22, 2009

Best day so far this year!!

Today we actually hit mid-50's! I was so excited. I also received my new 50mm 1.8 lens!! I AM so excited!! I tried it out today and loved it, until I downloaded the pictures and found one eye in focus and the other eye not (or even the hairline in focus and eyes out of focus :(
It is going to take some practice, but I am so ready for it! Any pointers on how to get multiple things in focus when using such a small aperture would be great! Thanks! Oh, and I do realize I could open up my aperature, but I was just basking in my freedom of 1.8!

I started snapping pictures indoors (without a flash!!!). This is my little Olivia. She LOVES the camera and is such a crack up! I asked her to show me her eyes and this is what I got.

SOOC:
RAW Image
ISO 400
f1.8 1/200
Indoor natural light























Edit:
sharpen, change levels.























And since it was 50's we headed outside. Aubrey is my challenge! Unlike her camera loving sister, she runs from pictures and turns her head away from the camera. Oh well, candid pictures are the best, right? She is also the last person I will practicing my focusing skills on. I would focus, but she would move before I snapped the picture (notice the nice sharp hairline in the second picture)

SOOC:
RAW Image
ISO 400
f 1.8
1/2500 (a little too quick:)















Edit:
lightened, sharpened and boost.















SOOC:
RAW Image
ISO 400
f 1.8
1/1600
















Edit:
Lightened, sharpened, boost, and vignette.















Then I gave up on trying to get my girls to sit still to work on my focus :)























I love the lens! It opens up a lot more creative doors, but with that is going to come a lot of work! Again, if anyone has tips or advice on how to conquer, please tell! Is there a certain distance I should be from my subject? Should I focus on something a little farther back? In the middle?

Not the best edits, sorry! I am ready for bed, but wanted to post. Should have waited until tomorrow, but too late to think of that now :)

THANK YOU for all of your advice, compliments and support!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky, your girls are adorable! If you're going to shoot wide open, try focusing on the bridge of the nose :) Your edits are really nice.

Diana said...

Congrats on your new lens! sorry im no help with your question because im in the same boat as you but dont worry we will eventually get it.

Tracie thanks for the tip i will try that

Margaret said...

Have fun with your new lens. I think what Tracie said is good advice. When you're shooting wide open and up close, it's really hard to get both eyes in focus.

Mandy said...

WOW...congrats on your new lens. Hands down the best lens for the money I think. I know I have gotten a lot of use out of mine. Your sooc and your PPed shots are great!